Wednesday, July 10, 2013

$637.19

Yesterday I received a really big bitch slap directly to the face from Sallie Mae in the form of my first student loan repayment bill.
The total?

$637.19

Let us assume for a moment that I was gainfully employed somewhere and not stuck living at home, waiting for neurologist appointments and whatnot. What on earth makes Sallie (I should probably be more polite and refer to her as Ms. Mae) think that I can afford that amount anyway? Even the lease on really really fucking nice cars like Jaguar and whatever aren't quite that much.

Needless to say, I spent the rest of my evening crying last night. My mother handled it like a champ. My father handled it like a jerk. He eventually stopped being jerky, but he certainly fanned the flames.

I will say I called Ms. Mae this morning and they did work with me on lowering my payment so I can't besmirch them too badly. The lady on the phone was very nice and very apologetic so I couldn't get mad at her. It's just upsetting knowing that this is a debt that will follow me for...ever. And I understand that I made this choice myself, no one forced me to do it.
It's still total bullshit that college costs enough where you taking out a loan is the obvious choice for college. I can only hope that things will start to go down? I don't see it happening anytime soon though.

I have a horribly itchy bug bite on my knee-I'm not 100% sure it's a mosquito bite and it itches something fierce. I've had it for nearly a week.
I see the neuro tomorrow. Maybe she can give me something for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment